This week's guest is veteran recording engineer and score mixer Todd Burke. As a score mixer he's worked on movies such as The Big Sick, The King of Staten Island, Daddy's Home 2, and Donnie Darko. On the record side of things his credits include names like Fitz and the Tantrums, M83, The Kooks, Ben Harper, and The Temper Trap, among many others. Todd's also recently banded together with several other engineers to launch a platform to share their experience with the next generation of engineers and producers. We have a great chat about being self taught, launching recordBetter, and being committed to decisions.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Teaching yourself to be an engineer by going through the tape vault
- Giving back and sharing knowledge
- Filling the seat differently for every project
- Committing and making decisions
- Moving to LA after high school and sleeping at the studio
- Recording to analog tape
- Working at Grandmaster Recorders
- Transitioning from records to film
- Records happen on the other side of the glass
- Working in Dolby Atmos
- Launching recordBetter
- Recording music for film vs recording for records
- Working with the Kooks
- Always having fun
- Capturing the magic of a band in the room
- Working with Slyvia Massey
Learn More About Todd Burke...
recordBetter Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/recordbetter/
Sign Up for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Todd Burke
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference