This week's guest is mixing and mastering engineer, drummer, and podcast host Matt Boudreau. Matt started his 35 year career in the music industry as a drummer, but turned to the studio world after being inspired by sessions with producers like Joe Chiccarelli and Gil Norton. Since then he's worked on tons of records, as well as owned and operated multiple studios. In 2014 he started his podcast, Working Class Audio, which rapidly became one of the most popular podcasts in the audio industry. We chat about the inspiration behind his show, being financially diversified, and the importance of being a good person and building great relationships.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Playing in bands until falling in love with the studio
- Starting the Working Class Audio podcast
- Having the right manager
- Diversifying your income as an audio professional
- The cost of keeping up with technology
- Being an advocate for yourself
- Taking over a Bill Putnam built studio in San Francisco
- Why relationships matter
- Taking a loan out to buy an early Pro Tools rig
- Mastering the basics of money
- Mentally recovering from failed ventures
- Building a Dolby Atmos room
- Being a good person
- The dangers of the instant gratification of social media
- Using drum samples
Learn More About Matt Boudreau and Working Class Audio...
Working Class Audio: https://www.workingclassaudio.com/
WCA Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/working_class_audio/
Check Out Matt's Drum Sample Course here!
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Matt Boudreau
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference