This week's guest is drummer, percussionist, and manager Nik Hughes. Nik is a member of the band Youngblood Hawke, who burst on the scene with their platinum hit "We Come Running." He's also currently playing drums for Bush and in the past he's recorded or toured with artists such as Andy Grammer, Bishop Briggs, Puddle of Mudd, Emily Osment, and many more. Along with all of his playing experience he's also worked on the business side of music, working in management and also briefly holding a label position at Big Deal Music. We chat about releasing music, the importance of supporting each other, and how to audition.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Being in Youngblood Hawke
- Safe touring
- Reading between the lines on auditions
- Playing in Bush
- Understanding the label side as an artist
- Always learning new skills
- Transitioning into management and business
- Recording drums last
- Jazz drumming influencing rock drummers
- Label services
- Building long lasting friendships with other bands
- Knowing who you are as an artist
- Playing with Bishop Briggs
- Dealing with record labels
Learn More About Nik Hughes...
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Support the show on Patreon!
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Nik Hughes
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference