Today's guest is producer, engineer, and musician Thom Monahan. Thom spent the first 15 years of his career as a touring musician before transitioning to working behind the glass. Since then he has worked with artists such as Neko Case, Fruit Bats, Stevie Nicks, Vetiver, and Medicine. He's also done work as a composer, doing scores for nearly a dozen documentaries, and several podcasts and web-series. Most recently he has taken his passion for music and creative sound design into the podcast world with his work with Treefort. We have a great chat about reducing creative friction, working on projects you are passionate about, and the future of scripted podcasts.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Reducing creative friction
- The new digital nature of collaboration
- Capturing the magic of a band in the room
- Making microphones out of a boombox
- Editing as a form of production
- The future of scripted podcasts
- Learning from everybody around you
- Understanding the format you are writing music for
- Tape Edits
- Keeping perspective when doing a "money gig"
- Committing to yourself and your vision
Learn More About Thom Monahan...
Listen to "Killing Hollywood: The Cotton Club Murder" Here
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Turning Point Coffee Roasters: https://www.turningpointcoffeeroasters.com/
Turning Point Code: PROGRESSIONS
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Thom Monahan
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference