This week we're joined by Ben Schmitz and Daniel Fine. Who, along with Ben's cat Jon, make up the audio plug-in company Aberrant DSP. Aberrant's flagship product, Sketch Cassette, has been embraced by producers and mixers around the world. What started as senior project at the University of Rochester has since spiraled to a full time job only a year or so later. We have a great chat about setting project goals, designing unique and exciting plug-ins, and learning to structure and run a small business.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Departing from the accepted standard
- How a senior project became a full time job
- Designing an eye catching user interface
- Studying electrical engineering
- Self-motivating as a self-employed person
- Learning new skills on the fly
- Lo-Fi and cassettes
- Finding inspiration outside music
- Creating a mission statement for yourself
- Judging what task to take on by judging your energy level
- Atomic Habits
Learn More About Aberrant DSP...
The Beats Accelerator Process: http://beatsaccelerator.com/
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Turning Point Coffee Roasters: https://www.turningpointcoffeeroasters.com/
Turning Point Code: PROGRESSIONS
"Atomic Habits" by James Clear: Here
Gear and Recommended Reading: https://kit.co/travisference
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Aberrant DSP (Ben Schmitz and Daniel Fine)
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference