This week's guest is producer, songwriter, and recording artist Gab Strum. Gab releases music under the moniker Japanese Wallpaper, as well as writes and produces for other artists. Based out of Melbourne, Australia, he's found success on Triple J radio with several of his tracks as well as some of his productions. Including "Forces" featuring Airling and "In Motion" by Allday. His latest album "Glow" came out at the end of 2019 and has been followed up by a slew of new singles over the last year. We have a great chat about the artist's perspective of a mix, touring, and defining success in a way that fits your path.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Getting back the first mix
- The Suzuki Method and ear training
- Dealing with imposter syndrome
- Triple J radio
- Supporting an artist's vision, instead of telling them what their vision should be
- Defining success in way that fits your path
- Record labels and avoiding making decisions via committee
- The Australian music scene vs American music scene
- The duality of a musically and technically great mix
- Building relationships on the touring circuit
- Handling your own playback during tour
- Protecting your hearing
- The importance of a great monitor and FOH team.
Learn More About Gab Strum and Japanese Wallpaper...
Listen to Japanese Wallpaper here.
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Join my Studiocast.io Studio and get behind the scenes of Progressions!
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Gab Strum (Japanese Wallpaper)
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference