Chris Tabron: Enabling Ideas, Focusing on "Why,” and Learning By Antithesis
Today’s guest is Brooklyn based Grammy nominated producer and mixer Chris Tabron. Chris’ credits include names such as The Strokes, Common, Robert Glasper, Battles, Die Antwoord, and Beyonce. He also does remix work under the moniker Madison Avenue Girls, has produced a documentary, and has also recently started a YouTube channel. We chat about how DJing shaped his approach to production, focusing on the “why” behind what you’re doing, and the importance of recognizing when being comfortable might be keeping you from your goals.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- DJing and seeing the effect music has on people
- Keeping a "Beginner's Mind"
- Technology as a touchstone of access, not a barrier to access
- Reading gear manuals
- Pushing your assistants to "out grow the job"
- Big Studio vs Apprenticing/Mentoring
- The was of working with amazing musicians
- Underestimating the power of networking early in your career
- Going to studios to hang out with friends
- Thinking of a discography as a calling card and legacy
- Every person is a body of knowledge worth tapping into
- Working for Tony Maserati
- Guerrilla recording indie bands
- Recognizing when opportunities aren't what you expected, but making them what you need.
Learn More About ...
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Crescendo: The World's First Subscription Mixing Service
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Progressions the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Check out the Progressions Podcast Setup
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Chris Tabron
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference