This week's guest is film and television composer Andrew Johnson. Andrew started his career as an assistant for composer James S. Levine at Hans Zimmer's Remote Control facility. While there he worked on hit shows such as Glee, American Horror Story, Royal Pains, Major Crimes, and many more. We chat about learning the art of film composing from the greats, getting jobs from the places you don't expect, meeting deadlines by forcing decision making instead of creativity, and the numbers game of library production music.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Impressing your peers vs impressing your audience
- Working at Han Zimmer's Remote Control
- Scoring your own wedding
- Master/Apprentice model of learning a craft
- Getting a job from a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy
- Treating looking for work a job
- The numbers game of library music
- Acting like every job is your big break
- Demo season
- Anticipating your notes as a means of inspiration
Learn More About Andrew Johnson...
The Complete Producer Network: https://www.completeproducer.net/
Beat Accelerator Process: https://knowledge.completeproducer.pro/beats
Turning Point Coffee Roasters: https://www.turningpointcoffeeroasters.com/
Turning Point Code: PROGRESSIONS
"The Compound Effect" by Darren Hardy Here
"The One Thing" by Gary Keller Here
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List!
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Guest: Andrew Johnson
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference